Monday, March 22, 2010


Well, better late than never. I was pulling my Monster House shots together and figured I could post them here, too. I had a great time on this show. Yes, it had its share of headaches, but looking back it was one of the best experiences I've had on a show. I liked the characters a lot, the crew I was working with was excellent, and I felt like my ideas were respected. I was given some great character shots, and I've longed for that kind of trust on projects since then. They're my favorite!

I left out at least two shots. One because I think my DVD had a scratch in that spot, and the other because I cringe every time I see it. They moved the camera in the shot AFTER it was finalled in animation. They didn't let the animation department know that they moved the camera, and there is a HUGE flaw on the side of a character's face that wasn't showing before the last minute camera move. OY!

Anyway, enjoy the show...

6 comments:

Reed Eriksson said...

Very cool stuff, Seth! So did you mostly do facial animation for Monster House?

Seth Hippen said...

There were about 5 shots of mine that were 100% key frame, but on average I would break it down like this:

Body animation: 60% mocap/ 40% key

Facial animation: 10% mocap/ 90% key

Reed Eriksson said...

Awesome! I didn't realize how much keyframe animation went into that. Nice job!

Brandon said...

you have such a unique style and a beautiful talent. Glad I found your blog!

Chelsea Odd said...

I love Monster House and how cool to see your shots.

Check Insurance said...

You rock!